Support Student PSR!
Support Student PSR members, Kami Veltri & Michelle Gin, as U.S. Ambassadors to the IPPNW 21st World Congress & International Peace Bike Tour in Kazakhstan. Make a donation now to assist in their endeavor as voices for a nuclear weapons-free world.
Celebrate Nuclear Abolition Day by contacting Secretary of State John Kerry.
Improving Sustainability & Environmental Health at Your Medical School!
The Medical Alliance to Stop Global Warming has launched a campaign to support student efforts to green their medical school/hospital!
Did you know…
- Currently, the healthcare sector is one of the most consumptive and energy-intensive built environments. There is a need for hospitals to reduce energy consumption in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve their carbon footprint. Also, greener buildings save money in energy costs!
- American hospitals generate 20 million pounds of solid waste each year!
- There are many products used inside hospitals, including pesticides and cleaning products, which can pose a health risk to patients.
- Mercury, a neurotoxic heavy metal, is found in devices such as blood pressure cuffs, thermometers, and esophageal dilators.
- A study done with the American Medical Student Association (AMSA) found that 42% of hospitals surveyed sold fast food on campus.
- Polyvinylchloride (PVC) is used to make many plastic products found in hospitals including IV bags and tubing, disposable gloves, pipes, flooring, plastic wrap, and furniture. PVC differs from other types of plastic because its production requires chlorine, metallic heat stabilizers, and plasticizers. These additives make PVC a particularly dangerous product throughout its entire lifecycle.
Want to learn more? Click here for the easy-to-use, fully referenced medical student guide to greening healthcare!
To receive notification about upcoming events, please join the google group for the Medical Alliance to Stop Global Warming
Healthcare Without Harm
Hospitals for a Healthy Environment
Center for Health Design
Greenguide for Healthcare
Greening Healthcare: Ideas for Medical Students
Guenther 5 Architects
EXAMPLES OF GREEN HEALTHCARE FACILITIES:
Article: The Top Ten Green Hospitals in the US 2006
The Center for Health and Healing at OHSU
Boulder Community Hospital: Foothills
Find out if you can purchase green power in your state
PSR's Code Black Coal Campaign
Purchase green energy credits through a joint program of Co-op America and NativeEnergy
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH EDUCATION:
OTHER GREEN INITIATIVES TO CHECK OUT:
Bloomberg's PlanNYC 2030
US Mayor's Climate Protection Agreement
Architecture 2030 initiative
Living Building Challenge
- Reduce Carbon Pollution -- Support a Strong EPA Rule
Guided by the values and expertise of medicine and public health, Physicians for Social Responsibility works to protect humanity from the gravest threats to health and survival. Right now, you can make a difference by registering your comments on the EPA's new Clean Power rule to limit carbon from existing coal-burning power plants. Just click the button to get started.
More action alerts»
Pediatric Environmental Health Toolkit
The Toolkit is a combination of easy-to-use reference guides for health providers and user-friendly health education materials on preventing exposures to toxic chemicals and other substances that affect infant and child health. Read more »
PSR tabling materials for outreach at students and informational fairs Read more »
Climate Change Flyer
Please make use of this great resource explaining the basics of climate change: what it is, why its happening, and what we can do to stop it. This flyer is great to use at tabling events for the general public, and doubles as an attractive poster when unfolded. Read more »