Join us in building a healthy environment and promoting sensible security policies.
Please ask your senators to cosponsor Sen. Franken's bill to challenge the trillion dollar nuclear weapons buildup.
On April 14th, 2011, The “Safe Chemicals Act” was introduced via youtube video by Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) (Click here to check out the video). The bill would overhaul the 1976 Toxic Substances Control Act, which has done little to regulate chemicals in consumer products, including those linked to cancer and other health problems.
Key aspects of the bill include:
• Requiring the chemical industry to demonstrate that a chemical is safe, as opposed to relying on the EPA to prove a chemical is unsafe.
• Requiring chemicals to meet a health standard before they are allowed on the market.
• Requiring chemical manufacturers to provide basic health and safety information for all chemicals, as a condition for being allowed to remain on the market.
• Requiring the EPA to rely on the National Academy of Sciences’ recommendations to incorporate the latest science in chemical safety determinations.
• Requiring the EPA to identify and restrict persistent, bioaccumulative toxins.
• (Click here to see a factsheet concerning the existing legislation and what the new legislation seeks to accomplish.)
While it’s great that legislation has been introduced, our work is far from done. Over the coming months WPSR will need your help in advancing a comprehensive bill.
First and foremost, we need to get co-sponsors. Please call the Capitol switch board TODAY at (202) 224-3121 and ask Senators Murray and Cantwell to protect the health of citizens of Washington State by co-sponsoring The Safe Chemicals Act of 2011 (S. 847) today! Tell the senators you are a health professional (doctor, nurse, etc.) and care about the health of your patients!
Please contact Cherie at WPSR (firstname.lastname@example.org or 206.547.2630) if you have questions.
And stay tuned for more actions to take to ensure The Safe Chemicals Act of 2011 becomes a reality!
Tell Congress: Hands off the health protection that EPA is trying to provide! Protect us from methane and ozone emissions now!
Thank the EPA for releasing standard on new and modified oil and gas operations -- and ask them to move swiftly to set limits on existing methane sources. Our climate and our health are at stake.
Slides by Dr. Ken Lans highlighting what clinicians need to know about the health impacts of climate change. Read more »
Major impacts concluded from analysis of project draft environmental impact statements, Position Statement on Crude Oil Transport and Storage prepared by Washington and Oregon Physicians for Social Responsibility, and supporting documents. Read more »
Public comment from Laura Skelton, Executive Director of Washington PSR, on the Environmental Protection Agency's proposed Clean Power Plan. Read more »