Join us in building a healthy environment and promoting sensible security policies. Make a donation to Washington PSR today
Let your voice be heard! Send a letter to the editor of your local newspaper supporting the Pope’s call for protecting the planet from climate change.
On April 14th, 2011, The “Safe Chemicals Act” was introduced via youtube video by Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) (Click here to check out the video). The bill would overhaul the 1976 Toxic Substances Control Act, which has done little to regulate chemicals in consumer products, including those linked to cancer and other health problems.
Key aspects of the bill include:
• Requiring the chemical industry to demonstrate that a chemical is safe, as opposed to relying on the EPA to prove a chemical is unsafe.
• Requiring chemicals to meet a health standard before they are allowed on the market.
• Requiring chemical manufacturers to provide basic health and safety information for all chemicals, as a condition for being allowed to remain on the market.
• Requiring the EPA to rely on the National Academy of Sciences’ recommendations to incorporate the latest science in chemical safety determinations.
• Requiring the EPA to identify and restrict persistent, bioaccumulative toxins.
• (Click here to see a factsheet concerning the existing legislation and what the new legislation seeks to accomplish.)
While it’s great that legislation has been introduced, our work is far from done. Over the coming months WPSR will need your help in advancing a comprehensive bill.
First and foremost, we need to get co-sponsors. Please call the Capitol switch board TODAY at (202) 224-3121 and ask Senators Murray and Cantwell to protect the health of citizens of Washington State by co-sponsoring The Safe Chemicals Act of 2011 (S. 847) today! Tell the senators you are a health professional (doctor, nurse, etc.) and care about the health of your patients!
Please contact Cherie at WPSR (firstname.lastname@example.org or 206.547.2630) if you have questions.
And stay tuned for more actions to take to ensure The Safe Chemicals Act of 2011 becomes a reality!
Tell your senators that lawsuits and legislation must not stand in the way of clean water. Protect our health by protecting the Clean Water Rule.
By implementing the Clean Power Plan, we can improve America’s health, reduce climate change, and save lives. Send this urgent message to your governor.
Major impacts concluded from analysis of project draft environmental impact statements, Position Statement on Crude Oil Transport and Storage prepared by Washington and Oregon Physicians for Social Responsibility, and supporting documents. Read more »
Public comment from Laura Skelton, Executive Director of Washington PSR, on the Environmental Protection Agency's proposed Clean Power Plan. Read more »
Slides by Dr. Ken Lans on climate change and carbon reduction. Read more »