Back from the Brink: Physicians as Peacebuilders in a Nuclear World
April 9, 2018
Time: 7:00 pm
Location: Carroll University Campus Center Ballroom, 100 N. East Ave
Speaker: PSR's Dr. Ira Helfand
Dr. Helfand will discuss:
- the growing danger of nuclear war
- the health and humanitarian consequences of the use of nuclear weapons
- the new campaign to eliminate nuclear weapons, including
- the signing by 122 countries of the United Nations "Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons"
- the awarding of the 2017 Nobel Peace Prize to ICAN (International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons)
Ira Helfand, MD, is a member of ICAN's Steering Committee, Co-president of International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War, and Past-president of Physicians for Social Responsibility. As a public speaker and author of many published studies, he is an internationally recognized expert on the medical consequences of nuclear war.
Dr. Helfand was educated at Harvard College and the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. He currently practices as an internist and urgent care physician at the Family Care Medical Center in Springfield, MA.
Please join us in observing Earth Day/Month by finding out what you can do to prevent nuclear war and help sustain the Earth! This program is free and open to all.
(Cosponsored by Plowshare Education for Peace, Carroll University Student Affairs, School of Heath Sciences, & Departments of Sociology, Communication, and Environmental Studies)
View event flyer »