Make a difference in the challenge to confront global warming and prevent nuclear war and the development and use of nuclear weapons.
Help PSR get the message out that money shouldn’t be wasted on nuclear weapons by writing a letter to the editor of your local paper.
Another Step to RevCon 2010
Jill Marie Parillo
May 13, 2009
Draft recommendations are shaping up for the 2010 RevCon. The Zimbabwean chair released a draft of his recommendations to the NGOs. A few of the PrepCom chair’s recommendations to the 2010 RevCon Chair, Philippines Ambassador Libran Nuevas Cabactulan, are to:
- Declare the Treaty is an expression of fundamental principles of nuclear disarmament and nonproliferation and remains a cornerstone of the global disarmament regime.
- Reaffirm the commitment shared by States parties to achieving universal membership and call upon all states parties to adhere to the NPT.
- Reaffirm commitments to nuclear disarmament, acknowledging commitments made at the 1995 and 2000 Review Conferences.
- Identify several practical disarmament initiatives including: the entry into force of the CTBT, beginning FMCT negotiations, and implementing transparent steps towards disarmament.
- Reaffirm the IAEA’s importance in verifying compliance with the NPT, and the importance of their initiative, multilateral approaches to the fuel cycle.
- Affirm the importance of Security Assurances.
- Reaffirm the inalienable rights of states to peaceful nuclear technology under article IV.
- Recall that the NPT 1995 extension is linked to the Resolution on the Middle East.
Comments Leave a Comment
In the Spotlight
July 17, 2014
Our Best Opportunity to Cut Climate Change
We need you to take action now! Tell the EPA that its proposed rule to cut carbon pollution from power plants Is vitally important and on the right track – but can be strengthened.