Make a difference in the challenge to confront global warming and prevent nuclear war and the development and use of nuclear weapons.
Ask your U.S. Representative to sign onto a letter urging President Obama to adopt a No-First-Use policy for nuclear weapons.
Another Step to RevCon 2010
Jill Marie Parillo
May 13, 2009
Draft recommendations are shaping up for the 2010 RevCon. The Zimbabwean chair released a draft of his recommendations to the NGOs. A few of the PrepCom chair’s recommendations to the 2010 RevCon Chair, Philippines Ambassador Libran Nuevas Cabactulan, are to:
- Declare the Treaty is an expression of fundamental principles of nuclear disarmament and nonproliferation and remains a cornerstone of the global disarmament regime.
- Reaffirm the commitment shared by States parties to achieving universal membership and call upon all states parties to adhere to the NPT.
- Reaffirm commitments to nuclear disarmament, acknowledging commitments made at the 1995 and 2000 Review Conferences.
- Identify several practical disarmament initiatives including: the entry into force of the CTBT, beginning FMCT negotiations, and implementing transparent steps towards disarmament.
- Reaffirm the IAEA’s importance in verifying compliance with the NPT, and the importance of their initiative, multilateral approaches to the fuel cycle.
- Affirm the importance of Security Assurances.
- Reaffirm the inalienable rights of states to peaceful nuclear technology under article IV.
- Recall that the NPT 1995 extension is linked to the Resolution on the Middle East.
Comments Leave a Comment
In the Spotlight
September 28, 2016
Speaking Tour: Heat Advisory
PSR's Dr. Alan Lockwood will visit 6 states this fall to highlight the health effects of climate change and speak about his new book, Heat Advisory.