Make a difference in the challenge to confront global warming and prevent nuclear war and the development and use of nuclear weapons.
The Clean Power Plan, a nationwide policy to protect the climate through increased use of clean energy, is being threatened by Congress. Don't let them put your health and your children’s future at risk!
French Expert on Reducing the Nuclear Threat
Jill Marie Parillo
June 3, 2009
Today at the conference, we had an intervention by Camille Grand, Director of the Foundation pour la Recherche Strategic (a leading French Security thinktank). Camille Grand said that nations in the past accepted deep cuts and drastic down-sizing of their nuclear arsenals, because they believed their security situation was improving. In Asia, a region where the security situation is worsening, Grand pointed out that nuclear weapon arsenals are growing. This is one of the greatest challenges to the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty (NPT) regime at the moment.
Grand laid out other challenges the regime faces:
- We face more cases of non-compliance in the regime (Iraq in the past, North Korea, Iran).
- Lack of political will to develop or use verification tools. For example, the additional protocol is not moving forward, which limits work by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
- Original bargains (nonproliferation and disarmament/access to technology) are under debate- if technology becomes available to everyone, do threats increase?
Grand also offered ways to strengthen the NPT regime and overcome these weaknesses:
- Recreation of a nonproliferation consensus at the 2010 NPT conference. In particular addressing the nonproliferation challenges and rebalancing. nonproliferation and disarmament priorities.
- Address the non proliferation challenges of the nuclear energy renaissance.
- Strengthen the regime by using regime tools, like the IAEA additional protocol.
- Address missile proliferation seriously.
- Implement follow on agreements for nuclear disarmament treaties, in particular the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces and the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START I).
Comments Leave a Comment
Dr. Ira Helfand Speaks at the UN
Dr. Ira Helfand spoke before the Untied Nations General Assembly on September 10, 2015 as part of a panel addressing the pursuit of a nuclear weapons free world. Read more »
Video: We Have an Iran Deal! Now What?
Watch PSR Security Program's latest webinar to understand the details of the Iran Deal and what you can do to keep the deal safe from Congress. Featuring speaker Kelsey Davenport, Arms Control Association. Read more »
Nukes in Your Backyard
Ever wonder how many nuclear mishaps and facilities are in your own backyard? Then check out our new map featuring pinpoint locations of close calls and the stories behind them. Read more »
In the Spotlight
September 19, 2015
Nukebusters Short Film Awards
The votes are in! Five hundred people and three celebrity judges chose the best films on nuclear weapons.