Make a difference in the challenge to confront global warming and prevent nuclear war and the development and use of nuclear weapons.
Please ask your senators to cosponsor Sen. Franken's bill to challenge the trillion dollar nuclear weapons buildup.
Physicians for Social Responsibility Support Labeling of GMO Foods
Resolution: Physicians for Social Responsibility supports mandatory labeling of genetically modified foods (GMOs). We believe consumers have the right to know what’s in their food and make informed decisions about what they eat.
Supporting reasons: Why should the public have this right to know?
- Consumers want to know. Virtually every poll taken on the subject has found that 90% or more of consumers said they want GMO food to be labeled.[i] More than 600 organizations and businesses also endorse labeling, including such varied groups as the American Nurses Association, Ben & Jerry’s, Consumers Union, Family Farm Defenders, Friends of the Earth, Health Care Without Harm and Union of Concerned Scientists.[ii]
- Consumers want fewer pesticides. GMO use, especially on soybeans, has led to "superweeds" and increased use of pesticides.[iii]
- GMO crops have contaminated the crops of organic and conventional non-GMO crops, causing serious financial losses to farmers.[iv]
- There is no consensus that GMO foods are safe for human health or the environment, especially regarding risks due to toxicity and allergenicity.[v]
- The FDA doesn't conduct safety testing on GMO crops and doesn’t require independent testing. The only testing done is by the same biotech corporations that develop the crops. Moreover, these corporations severely restrict scientists from conducting independent health or environmental safety research, making it extremely difficult to get unbiased investigation.[vi]
- Although the food industry claims labeling would significantly increase costs, independent research shows little to no price increases for consumers.[vii]
- There are already 64 countries around the world that require labeling of GMO food, including all European Union nations, Australia, Japan, Russia and Brazil.[viii] Americans deserve the same opportunity to make informed decisions as citizens of these other nations.
Last Updated May 13, 2014
Health Impacts of Natural Gas Infrastructure
Fracked natural gas contaminates air and water where it is extracted, then pipelines transport gas-related pollutants for hundreds of miles. Distant communities may be exposed to toxic air pollutants, dangerous particulates, and radioactive materials. All of us are endangered as methane leaks into the atmosphere. Read more »
Natural Gas: Not a healthy or climate-protective solution for the Clean Power Plan
Building natural gas plants to replace coal-fired power is not a solution to the climate crisis; it merely replaces one fossil fuel with another. Read more »
Death by Degrees
The sign of Global Warming are already here. “Death by Degrees” is a series of reports looking at the damaging health effects of global warming by states or regions within the United States. We encourage you to learn about the public health threats global warming poses in your state/ region and contact your elected officials to support climate policies that reduce our reliance on dirty fossil fuels and supports energy efficiency, conservation and clean renewable energy production. Read more »
In the Spotlight
November 30, 2016
Eating for Climate and Health
PSR's new PowerPoint presentation on how climate change impacts food production, and agriculture's contribution to climate change.