(revised June 2020)
Physicians for Social Responsibility (PSR) is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that has been working for more than 50 years to create a healthy, just, and peaceful world. Throughout its history, PSR has provided a strong medical voice against the development and use of nuclear weapons. Our other major programmatic focus is climate change—another catastrophic disaster that threatens human health and survival.
PSR’s media relations manager reports to the Executive Director and will be responsible for overseeing all communications from the organization with various forms of media, including cultivating and managing all relationships with journalists and other media representatives. The duties are roughly evenly split between managing our social media channels and working on tasks more associated with traditional media (pitching reporters, placing op-eds, and putting together press statements, quotes, and releases) — but with an emphasis on growing and improving our social media presence.
- Responds to media inquiries and develops, expands, and cultivates ongoing relationships with reporters, media outlets and allied coalitions with whom PSR coordinates; writes and disseminates press releases and other media materials; and pitches pieces to newspaper, broadcast and online outlets.
- Oversees PSR’s online social media efforts. Develops compelling, creative and engaging social media content. Develops relationships with social media influencers to help promote our work.
- Collaborates with staff to develop messaging in support of our initiatives, and advises on how to maximize impact through media and public engagement.
- Tracks relevant media to keep abreast of trends and help identify coverage opportunities,
- Provides ongoing support to staff and chapters on the use of Twitter and other social media.
- Assists chapters in developing local media relationships, and assists PSR’s national staff, chapter staff, and activists in placing op-eds in national and local media outlets.
- Designs and delivers basic training on social media and other communications topics for PSR staff, chapter staff, and activists on the ground.
- Works to implement a unified design and consistent branded and targeted messaging across all of our communications products.
- Develops new ideas (and occasionally drafts content) for the PSR web site. Assists staff with the development of other content. Reviews and edits all blog posts before publishing.
- Conducts outreach to allies, advocates, coalitions and elected officials’ offices to elevate and amplify PSR’s perspective on core issues.
- Copyedits/proofreads factsheets, reports, op-eds, blogs posts, and email alerts before publication. The Media Relations Manager may be called upon to assist in the production of our bi-annual member publication, PSR Reports, and our annual report.
Skills and Experience
- Experience working with and successfully pitching media and reporters.
- Strong writing skills, particularly on press materials and op-eds.
- Strong copyediting and proofreading skills.
- Strong aptitude in connecting with people and networking.
- Experience utilizing Twitter and other social media channels to make media contact and engage influencers.
- High degree of self-motivation with a proven ability to work with minimal supervision but also as part of a team.
- Creative and positive-thinker and learner. Experience in PSR’s issue areas is not required, but an interest in our issue areas is a must.
- Significant editing experience.
- Experience creating infographics.
- Experience working on campaigns and/or in collaboration with coalitions.
- A postsecondary degree or coursework in political science, public policy, education, communications, journalism, or a related field.
- Capitol Hill, think tank or public relations agency experience.
- Experience with communications in a non-profit or policy setting.
- Experience in developing and/or implementing a strategic communications plan.
- Experience with web site content management systems (WordPress experience is a plus).
- Experience with media database and social media analytics platforms.
- Experience with designing and facilitating webinars and/or other online events.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter describing your specific qualifications for this position, resume, salary expectations, and a minimum of three references (name, title, organization, phone, and email). Please note that references will not be contacted without prior approval from the applicant.
Electronic submissions via email are required: email@example.com
No telephone inquiries, please.
Job open until filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. To ensure optimal consideration, applicants should be submitted no later than June 30, 2020.
PSR is committed to recruiting and maintaining a staff with a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, age, religion, disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
The Herbert Scoville Jr. Peace Fellowship pays a stipend for college graduates to work with NGOs in Washington, DC, including PSR, on arms control, peace, and security issues for six to nine months. PSR provides strong mentoring and professional development opportunities for Scoville Fellows from any discipline. Scoville Fellows at PSR can expect to be engaged in substantive work related to conducting outreach to doctors and allied health professionals to engage in nuclear disarmament advocacy. PSR is a US-partner of the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN) and was a leading organization in the Humanitarian Movement that achieved the U.N. Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons. Learn more about the Scoville Fellowship.